Next Steps as a Toastmaster

                                                        Next Steps as a Toastmaster

It has been four years since I joined Toastmasters and I cannot deny the fact that I have learned and changed. Toastmasters has challenged me to step out of my comfort zone; to shift from a fixed to a growth mindset; and to be more proactive in searching for opportunities that can help me advance professionally. When I first heard about Toastmasters, I had no idea what to expect from it. Other than knowing it was a place to practice speaking, I was clueless, nonetheless. However, I made my first attempt back in 2013 shortly after my college graduation.

Being a native Spanish speaker, I visited the bilingual (Spanish-English) Toastmasters club. I loved the atmosphere! It seemed like a great place to be as it seemed not only a place to practice speaking, but to meet new likeminded people. Yes, in Toastmasters, we all share similar goals and among these goals include improving our speaking and presentation skills. Ever since I remember I disliked speaking in front of others and had difficulty sharing my ideas with others, which I believe would be called fear of rejection.

Every time I had the chance to shine, I bypassed the opportunity to someone who was much more eloquent than me. I ignored these opportunities and walked away from them. I looked down and tried to keep the peace and said yes to everything and everyone. I was what you would call a passive communicator and I absolutely hated it! Years passed and I suddenly realized the inner damage. I struggled with low self-esteem and was overall a pessimist. I knew I had to do something to change. I no longer desired to follow this path. One of my goals was to become an assertive communicator. 

After my first attempt at visiting my first Toastmasters club, I joined my first Toastmasters club three years later and to this date, I have been a member to three clubs (Chula Vista Club #108, Great Communicators #6296, and Toast of the Coast #2570834). During these four years, I have committed to the task of speaking and taking leadership roles at the club and district level. After four years of being an active member, I realized that I need to change my game. I have learned and enjoyed being a team leader and collaborating with the executive club officers to improve my club. I have stepped up to do unimaginable things. As the public relations officer, I revamped the club’s social media platforms and as the education manager, I communicated with members to assist them in meeting their educational (communication) goals. Speaking wise, I have completed the Competent Communicator, Advanced Communicator Bronze, and my first two paths (Presentation Mastery and Leadership Development).

Though I have learned and changed in some aspects, sometimes it seems as if I have lost focus. It is critical to refocus on my initial goal, which was what brought me to join this organization. As much as I have enjoyed every aspect of being a club leader, it is important that I focus solely on continuous growth and improving my public speaking skills and presentation abilities in front of small and large groups. I am stepping down from leadership to concentrate on communication. Stepping out of my comfort zone, dealing with fear of rejection, developing a growth mindset, and becoming an assertive communicator are still crucial to my growth both personally and professionally.

Comments