Significance of Prayer

        These past six weeks have been extremely significant to me in my development as a Catechist teacher as I have learned more about Catholic rituals and traditions. All objects and images displayed in a Catholic church are emblems to the Roman Catholic Church. From the moment we enter every church, we find a baptismal font and holy water fonts in every entrance to bless ourselves.

        As we walked towards the altar, we face Jesus in the cross and looking around, we find statues and pictures of the Virgin Mary and other Catholic saints. I believe that both personal and liturgical prayers deepen my relationship with God. I was unaware that there were different types of prayers: liturgical, personal, and shared prayer. When we are in mass or religion class, we recite liturgical prayers and in my own space, I say my personal prayers. Shared prayer was new to me as it is the opportunity to pray with someone else or a small group.

        One time the deacon at my church did a close reading of the Nicene Creed, in which he allowed us to brainstorm and discuss the meaning behind this prayer. It helps tremendously to do analytical readings of the prayer versus telling the students to memorize the prayer as close readings bring these liturgical prayers to life because every word will have meaning, which will lead to a deeper appreciation.

        Additionally, I created my own prayer space at home and in my classroom. This serves as a reminder of making room for personal and shared prayers. My prayer space is my personal space as I add significant objects. For example, some objects include my rosary and Bible from the time I did my First Communion; candles with images of Jesus, St. Mary, the Holy Spirit; and a gratitude jar because gratitude strengthens my faith.

        All these forms of prayer have impacted my life greatly and it is through prayer (liturgical, personal, and shared) that we grow our faith and gain a deeper connection with God. 


Comments