The Area Director Experience

Reflecting on my Time as Area Director




For the first three years as a Toastmaster, I had served in two different club officer capacities - as vice president public relations and vice president education. I had a greater desire to do more - to challenge myself to a greater level. During these three years, I visited Toastmasters clubs in the county of San Diego until one day, someone planted the seed in my head and ever since, an ambitious mind started to grow in me. I pondered over the idea of becoming an area director. It happened in 2019 when I decided to step outside my Toastmasters club. I knew that a leadership role like this was a grand challenge; yet, a challenge definitely worth pursuing. It was what I needed for my own personal and professional growth. 


Toastmasters International has proven to be a magnanimous organization that has supported millions of people across the world to enhance their professional speaking skills, master their presentation skills, develop their leadership skills, and increase their own confidence. I am a firm believer of its core values - Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence. These four values are the foundation to leadership and it is highly important to make these values part of my journey as a developing leader. Integrity is number one as it is the core value. As leaders, it is critical to be an honest and trustworthy role model who sets the example for others. We always strive to do the right thing. We are mindful and respectful to the ideas and works of others. Above all, we lead with humility and heart. To me, titles do not matter. To me, making a positive difference and significant contributions are what matter the most. This organization promotes servant leadership and the valuable leadership lesson is that it is not about me. It is about learning and mastering, as well as teaching and helping others in becoming better selves. In whichever role I am or whichever type of work I am doing, I will always strive for excellence.


In retrospect as area director, I learned that strategic planning, team collaboration, and communication are critical for success. In my time being as area director, one major responsibility was to attend the monthly District Executive Committee (DEC) meeting where we would receive monthly updates and learn on how to create club leads. The second major responsibility was to communicate and collaborate with the clubs’ executive committees by maintaining them informed of pertinent information that would assist them in meeting the educational and membership goals outlined in the distinguished club program, also known as the club’s DCP. The highlight of this year was planning and coordinating the area speech contest with the support of the contest chair, division director, and the club members from four clubs in my area. Fortunately, planning and organizing a speech contest was not a foreign concept as I had two different opportunities to be a contest chair for my very own Toastmasters club with the support and guidance of my club’s mentor. 


This past year I was blessed and this year I am beyond grateful for the opportunity to challenge my leadership ability and continue honing upon my own leadership development. My first year as area director has come to an end and I am overjoyed with the final results. I am happy to announce that Area 26 concluded the year 2019/2020 with two President’s Distinguished Toastmasters clubs and two Select Distinguished Toastmasters clubs. To any Toastmaster who may be considering serving as area director, give it a try! Push yourself to the limit and challenge yourself to grow beyond your potential. It is definitely a worthy pursuit and valuable experience for those who seek to develop their leadership skills and grow as a leader.


Comments